On May 15th, we gathered at the FME World Tour, organized for the first time in Bucharest. Developed by the Canadian company Safe Software, FME represents a powerful software tool for geospatial data processing and its dedicated event has raised the interest of many GIS-related industry experts in Romania.
Participants were welcomed by Cosmin Albu, Business Development Director in Globema RO, who encouraged to make the event as interactive as possible. Mr. Ionut Savoiu, President of the Romanian Cartographers Association (UCR) has also addressed a few words, mentioning his Association’s support for the adoption of advanced geospatial solutions and for the development of a strong local IT community in that field.
After the event opening, the first session belonged to the guests from Canada, representatives of FME – Safe Software. Sonia Hobbs told about the history of Safe Software and their cooperation with Globema. In turn, Dean Hintz revealed the secrets of the new FME 2019, for both Desktop and Server.
After a networking break, some of the guests shared their experiences on how FME made the difference during various complex projects. Simona Staiculescu from ESRI presented the contribution of FME under ArcGIS to some major Public Sector projects requiring Spatial Transformation for INSPIRE. It was then Robert Raiz from Yardi who captured the audience by describing his early career magic discovery: Weeks of manual work transformed into 1 minute of FME!
The next presenter, Alexandru Visan from Eurosense, shared the experience of putting FME at work to standardize, automate, check, repair, validate or track endless data transformation processes during a geospatial database up-date project.
The afternoon session was opened by Nicolae Soare from Globema, presenting FME in data migration projects for Telco Operators, followed by Dean Hintz from Safe Software, describing a series of FME use cases, as Stories from around the World. During the breaks, the conference participants had also the opportunity to share their personal experiences in using FME or seek advice in addressing via FME various data challenges.
We’d like to thank all participants and speakers for the opinions provided in the survey forms – it’s a valuable source of inspiration and motivation for us. We hope you will also join the FME World Tour 2020!
- Sonia Hobbs, VP of Business Development and Strategy at Safe Software – Welcome at FME World Tour 2019
- Dean Hintz, Senior Analyst at Safe Software – FME 2019 Desktop, FME 2019 Server, Stories from around the world
- Simona Staiculescu, Professional Services at ESRI Romania – Using FME leveraged by ArcGIS for INSPIRE Directive Projects in Romania
- Robert Raiz, Manager at Yardi – Massachusetts Parcel Collector: townships to county accumulator
- Alexandru Visan, GIS Expert at Eurosense – Manage Database Up-date with FME
- Nicolae Soare, IT Consultant at Globema – Data migration to GIS for Telco Operators